Home :: Artists :: About :: FAQ :: Forums :: Links :: Shop :: Contact
Old 04-20-2006, 02:09 AM

holden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's happening with Fluke?

Any Fluke fans around here? I really loved these guys, and their last long-overdue album "Puppy" in 2004 was full of promise for more output. But then they claimed to be a renamed project "Fluke and the Black Swans" which never happened. And then they recorded "Nobdy Never" as "2 Bit Pie", sounding very much like ol-skool early 90's Fluke. But i haven't heard anything since. Anyone more informed?

Cheers,
Holden
Old 04-20-2006, 02:46 AM

James T Starkiller

I've been wondering the same thing. Not to be picky, but Puppy was released in 2003 (in the UK at least), which means it's been almost three years since their last release. It'd be nice to know when we're gonna get some new material.

I'm glad you brought this up. With all of this talk about stuff foreign to me, it's nice to discuss a band I'm relatively familiar with.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:38 AM
Forward!

vinnie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to vinnie97 Send a message via MSN to vinnie97 Send a message via Yahoo to vinnie97

well, you guys basically covered everything...I can only add a "+1" and "me too" to this thread. However, it just occurred to me that no one mentioned Syntax, which includes the former member of Fluke who left in 2000, Mike Tournier. Their album hit in 2004 but they have since called it quits due to the lukewarm response (delusions of grandeur perhapz).
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 AM

James T Starkiller

Yeah, Meccano Mind was one of the better albums of 2004, and I was pretty upset when I heard it'd be their only release. It really didn't sound much different than Fluke, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, particularly tracks like "Destiny," "Little Love," "Fever," and my favorite, "Bliss."
Old 04-20-2006, 06:38 PM

redsavior

Last thing I saw done by fluke was 2005's Southpaw remixes off hope recordings. http://beatport.com/fluke
Old 04-20-2006, 11:15 PM

James Warren is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to James Warren Send a message via MSN to James Warren Send a message via Skype™ to James Warren

I heard people saying that Syntax were the best 'new' thing since Underworld. Pray certainly had an Underworld 'feel' about it for sure, and there were some other tasty offerings on the album too.

james
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Forward!

vinnie97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to vinnie97 Send a message via MSN to vinnie97 Send a message via Yahoo to vinnie97

yea, that's right...January 2005 saw the Southpaw remixes. It would seem that somewhere between that remix and summer 2005, 2 Bit Pie was born.

I know I'm ready for another good fluking.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Mommar

And a wonderful term Michelle came up with there.

I never heard these Southpaw mixes... although I wasn't keen on the 2 Bit Pie stuffage I heard.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:59 PM

holden is an unknown quantity at this point

yay! Glad to see there are other Fluke fans! Most folks only know them from "Atom Bomb"-fame, and they often get dumped on for following the trends. in contrast, i think they've evolved really well, rather than stagnating in one style.

The 2 Bit Pie track, "Nobody Never", however, wasn't too exciting for me. Though Jon Fugler's vocals were dark and sounded like most Fluke tracks, i found the female back-up singing and some of the effects to be very early-90's, like "Thumper" and the tracks on "Techno Rose of Blighty" or "Out: In Essence". Maybe the project was supposed to be nostalgic, or a bridging of their history?

You're absolutely right, James T., "Puppy" WAS from 2003. i got it late in the year, b/c i had to get it imported (no Fluke in your typical US music store!), and man, i played the heck outta that record!

Syntax being compared to Underworld?! i'll have to check them out!
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 PM

redsavior
Default Re: What's happening with Fluke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
And then they recorded "Nobdy Never" as "2 Bit Pie", sounding very much like ol-skool early 90's Fluke.
That was them? I totally missed that track and after listening to it... I don't think I would have thought it was. Yeah... I hate the fem vox on it :P